23 August 2015

The Weekend

Yesterday, I posted the following as my Facebook update:

"Today is one of those perfect weather days.  And it's Saturday.  Here is my plan for the day:

1. Relax.
2. Breathe
3. Spend time outside with The Tim and Dug the Doodle Dog.
4. Eat and drink whatever I want.
5. Not think about work or any of the other annoying/depressing things I usually think about, or can't help thinking about.
6. Be as happy as I can be.
7. Read.
8. Knit.
9. Listen to music and/or watch stupid things on TV, while cuddling kitties.
10. Laugh a lot.
11. Remember to be as happy as I can be and be grateful.
12. Stay off the computer for a change.

I am seldom able to convince myself that a day should be like this, because there are always Things That Must Be Done.  But not today.

So I'll see you tomorrow."

That is exactly how my day turned out - it was wonderful.  And I have to say, I didn't miss the computer all that much.  The only time I was frustrated was when I wanted to check some weird question on Google, and couldn't.  I think it didn't bother me that much because I knew I could use it today.  I'm sure I could survive without being online, but I do enjoy it as a way to keep up with friends and family, you know?

Anyway, I finally finished the first watermelon sock!  To be honest, I assumed when I started them, that I would be finished and wearing them by now.  But as I remind myself, it's not a contest, and I will definitely be motivated to finish the second sock soon.  I can wear them all next summer if I want to ...

Today has also been a quiet, somewhat lazy day.  But I have done some laundry, completed a couple of errands, and obviously, used the computer - I posted some pet pictures on Instagram, besides other things.

I would encourage you to "take a day off" as it were.  Everything and everyone was still around and doing their usual things today online.  And maybe they had a lovely day yesterday as well, I don't know.

I do know that *I* did.  :-)

7 comments:

Lorette said...

I followed your advice and have had a great weekend (after one of those totally crappy work weeks). I have had some work to catch up on, but have done it as little bits with knitting and flute playing rewards thrown in.

Caffeine Girl said...

I think that is the perfect day! And you are right, there aren't enough of them. There is always something to do. I am a big believer in getting away from the computer, and I did a good job of that while I was away from home this summer. But, there is something about being home. I just gravitate toward the darn thing!

Araignee said...

I've been feeling the same way about the time I spend (waste) online. I am always blogging about not having time to finish things that could be finished if I just turned off the computer and finished them. I've gotten so much worse since I switched to this little Chromebook. It's always on, light as a feather and is screaming fast, making it too easy to lose myself for hours. I need an intervention.

Lorraine said...

Bridget- I had a great weekend. Went on a day trip and saw some countryside. Did laundry yesterday- and made a great dinner.

We even sat outside on the patio-

There is life after the internet! Glad you guys chilled and enjoyed the day.

kathy b said...

I love to leave my phone alone for a day or two!

Anonymous said...

When a day starts with "relax", it's going to be a good day.

elns said...

Ahh good post. It spoke to me. I have a tendency to spin-think on things I cannot necessarily control. I end up wasting a lot of time and energy when I could be using it to just relax as you say.

Also, yes there are always things...